The land belong to the area of South Sulawesi province comprises of narrow north - south streching peninsula. Sulawesi or known also as Celebes island is mainly mountainous with seafaring Bugis people dominate the southern tip of the island, and the northern part of South Sulawesi is inhabited by the Toraja people whose unique culture rivals that of the Balinese. The capital city of South Sulawesi is Ujung Pandang or know back again with the ancient name of Makassar. Nowdays the city is the gateway to eastern Indonesia international sea traffic, due to its chief trading port, and butling traditional Bugis vessels of phinisi that sailed to as far as Australian north and east coasts which was banned by British colony in the turn of 19th century. The southern part of Makassar now developed for water sports activities and further north through rugged country is famous Toraja Land (Tana Toraja) as the land of the heavenly kings. The Torajan has a unique tradition of their own origin.. Toraja land well known for its festive burial ceremonies at home or cemetery of cliffs cave or hanging graves, they practice an ancestral cult even today where death and after life ceremonies are still as royal feasts when buffaloes are sacrificed during the death ceremony, after which the dead remains are placed in a coffin and put in cave hollowed out on high cliffs along with the dead sculpture carved in wood is also put on the grave so he/she seems looking out from a balcony
3 Days Toraja Package
3 Days 2 night package is the most popular itinerary for travellers visiting Toraja, especially for those looking only for the cultural and natural highlight of the land. Within 3 days all best interest of the country are able to be covered.
Day 01 Makassar - Toraja
Upon arrival at Hasanuddin airport, meeting service and transfer to Toraja, a 8 hours driving across the Bugis villages with their typical house on poles the magnificent mountain passes. Lunch will be served at Bukit Indah restaurant in Pare Pare, a small port situated 155 kms north of Makassar. Late afternoon arrive at Toraja, Dinner and overnight at hotel in Toraja.
Day 02 Toraja Tour
After breakfast at hotel, full day visiting the stone grave of Lemo, the royal tombs at Suaya, the baby grave in the tree at Sanggalla. Lunch in Rantepao. Visit also the natural burial cave at Londa, and traditional carving village at Kete Kesu. Dinner and overnight at hotel in Toraja.
Day 03 Toraja - Makassar
After breakfast proceed to Makassar, lunch at Bukit Indah, and direct to airport for your onward flight
The land is around 328 kms from Makassar city within 8-9 hours drive from Makassar the capital city of South Sulawesi. Toraja Land well known for its unique culture and ancient traditions which attracted peoples from all over the world by a Toraja Package of 3 days, 4 days or even 5 days. Most people so far contented themselves with 3 days / 2 Night Toraja Package tours. This Toraja Package tours is a fullboard service, so travellers will be like free of hassle. Rantepao is the center of tourism in Toraja Land. From Rantepao, side trips can be made to Kete, a traditional village where there are handicraft and unique shops, behind the village there is a grave site on a hillside. Two cliff graves easy to reach are Lemo and Londa. Palawa is traditional village with its Traditional Tongkonan houses.
Enrekang about 236 km to the north of Makassar where you can see beautiful landscapes at Bambapuang as the best place for having refreshment when doing journey from Ujung Pandang to Toraja land or reverse.
Polewali-Mamasa is the capital town of Polmas regency located 246 km north of Ujung Pandang, inhabited by Mandarnese, Buginese, Torajans and Javanese ethnic groups.
Places of Interest South Sulawesi
- Fort Rotterdam (Benteng Makassar) facing the sea front as the Landmark of Makassar city, built in 1545 during the reign of Tuni Pallanga, the 10th Sultan of Gowa ( now Makassar )
- Poetere Anchorage, located on the outskirts of Makassar city, poetere is where sailing boats and other small vessels known very famous Phinisi anchor to unload their cargo.
- Samalona island, just across the harbor of Makassar which has been developed into a pleasant recreational resort. It can be reached by boat within 45 minutes and has simple accommodation.
- Sungguminasa, about 11 kms from Makassar formerly the seat of the king of Gowa. Tomb of Sultan Hasanuddin. Sultan Hasanuddin (1629-1690) was famous for his exceptional bravery in his struggle against colonial encroachment in South Sulawesi. His tomb and those of other kings of Gowa are located in a secluded cemetery not far from Sungguminasa, 8 kms from Makassar.
- Malino, located 70 km from Makassar offers a haven from city life.
- Bulukumba, where you will find white sandy beaches at Bira, 178 km from Makassar to the south. Traditional ship building is also located at this place, not far from here the visitors can cross the sea to visit the island of Selayar.
- Goa Mampu, the largest cave in South Sulawesi, the legendary cave of Mampu is about 140 km from Makassar.
- Bantimurung, located to the noth of Makassar, Bantimurung lies around 41 kms from Makassar. Here the air is filled with butterflies which flys from shrub to shrub over the water. These rare brightly colored ornithoid butterflies are considered the most beautiful in the world.
- Goa Leang-Leang is now declared an archeological site, these prehistoric caves have strange rock carving of hands and a wild pigs, believe to be 5000 years old.
- Pare-Pare is the best place for stop and having lunch when doing the journey from to Toraja land or reverse.
- Sengkang is the capital town of Wajo regency is well known for its silk weaving and the center of Buginese silk. Here we can enjoy the view of Tempe Lake is one of the tourist resort at Sengkang.
- Soppeng is located 240 km to the northeast of Ujung pandang well known for its silk industry.
Among various tour packages and tour options in Bali there are some tours which can be said always on the publications and interest a large part of travellers to Bali. Kintamani mountain tour sits at the first number as the most popular sightseeing tour, second is Taman Ayun and Tanah Lot tour, third is Uluwatu temple tour.
- Kintamani tour bring combination of watching barong dance, beautiful temple architecture, beautiful natural views, dance, carving, accessories and painting see description
- Taman Ayun and Tanah Lot temples are two historical heritages from 17th, Taman Ayun palace temple which is always found near palaces of Balinese king starting 18th century see description
- Uluwatu temple located on steep drop cliff on the southernmost tip of Bali island. see description